You have to find a way out. Time is ticking. You only have an hour, and the only way out is to use the clues. Do you think you can do it?
Sounds serious, right? Well, it's only as serious as you make it. This is the dilemma of an escape room. If you're not familiar with escape rooms, the idea is pretty simple. You get a group of friends together, get locked into a room with some sort of task or problem to solve, and if you do it within the time limit, you win. If not, you lose. It's that simple.
Well, I know these exist in the United States (and I have run across them in other parts of the world), but I was shocked to find that there are a couple of these companies in Jeddah!
We recently had the opportunity to try one of them out, and it was great! We went to the one called Exit the Room which we learned is a franchise of a company based in Germany. This particular franchise has 3 rooms which all have different themes (and apparently different levels of difficultly). We did the theme called "Mind Boggling," and though I won't go into too much detail here so I don't spoil it for someone else who gets a chance to try it, we were able to solve the clues and escape the room with 18 minutes to spare!
Some things to note:
- The cost is 100 SAR ($26 USD) per person.
- At this location (I can't speak for the other company), it's important to make a reservation as time slots fill up quickly.
- There's an emergency exit, so if at any point you absolutely must get out of the room, there is a way to do that.
- The games are not language dependent, so you don't have to speak or read a specific language to participate.
- For obvious reasons, you can't take phones or cameras into the actual room.
Have you been to an escape room? If so, what was your experience like? Comment below to share!